North Basset, Wheal


Copper, Arsenic, and Tin Mine
Worked from 1844 to 1872

Jan 1st, 2024 from RF by Buddle-Bot

Mar 12th, 2026 by BertyBasset



Basset Mines Lyles Engine house and whim Carnkie 2020
Cornwall
Illogan
50.2146912, -5.2434478
SW 6870 4000
Private Land
167m
30,500t
#8,669


The mine site is now marked by large buildings, particularly where shaking tables and buddles are situated. It’s recommended for those interested in exploring historic Cornish mines.

Shafts included:

  • Miner’s Shaft
  • Lyle’s Shaft
  • New Shaft
  • Grace’s Shaft
  • Flat Rod Shaft
  • Western Shaft
  • North Shaft


North Wheal Basset was merged with Wheal Basset in 1879, taking the latter’s name. Legend has it that North Wheal Basset was discovered after an old woman claimed to have seen a mysterious light known as a Jack o’Lantern. Miners investigated and found valuable copper ores. The woman was rewarded with a monthly payment, a yearly dress, and a shaft named after her.

Output between 1846-1869:

  • 169 tons black tin
  • 30,157 tons copper


Publications (4)

  • Dewey, Henry (1923); BGS - Mineral Resources of GB (c1920s) Vol XXVII - Copper Ores of Devon and Cornwall; 92 pages
  • Dines, Henry George (1956); BGS - Regional Memoirs - Metalliferous Mining Region of South West England Vol1, The; 567 pages
  • Palmer, M. & Neaverson, P.; NMRS (1987); British Mining 32 - Basset Mines, The; ISBN 0901450 31 6; pp.passim.
  • Palmer, Marilyn and Neaverson, Peter (1989); PDMHS (Peak District Mines Historical Society) 10-6 Win - Comparative Archaeology of Tin and Lead Dressing in Britain during the Nineteenth Century, The; 32 pages (316-347)


Basset Mines Lyles Engine house and whim Carnkie 2020



Select a theme