The shaft, now capped, was originally sunk in 1838 and reached a depth of 423 feet. Development was limited to two main levels, located at 336 and 372 feet, with the lower level frequently flooded. The mine remained active until 1907 and was finally closed in 1926. It is known to connect underground with New Dunn Pit.
Oldham, Tony (1998); Mines of the Forest of Dean; 86 pages
Pope p 531
Sibley p 46 - 47
Sibly F.T, revsd. Lloyd W. (1927); BGS - Mineral Resources of GB (c1920s) Vol X 2nd Ed - Iron Ores - Hematites of Forest of Dean, South Wales; 115 pages