The no 2 shaft headframe and winding building survive. Also the tub circuit of 2ft gauge track still exists.
1899-1900 Barnsley Main Coal Co.
1901-1930 Barnsley Main Colliery Co. Ltd
1931-1946 Barrow Barnsley
1947-1991 National Coal Board
This mine is famous for being the scene of the Oaks Colliery disaster on 12th of December 1866 when 361 people were killing by an explosion at the mine. See the Wikipedia link below for a detailed account of the disaster.
The No 2 shaft ceased producing coal in 1966 but was restored for man riding in the 1970s up to the mines closure in 1991.
There is a public car park on site.
Headframe is listed.
External Links
Publications (2)
- Brown, Ivor J. (1994); PDMHS (Peak District Mines Historical Society) 12-4 Win - Preservation of Colliery Engines and Headframes; 2 pages (15-16)
- Robert L Galloway (1882); History of Coal Mining in Great Britain; 298 pages


