Shallow water mine,Bodmin

pirate

A strange little mine with noticeable bad air further in.Some nice examples of hermatite and amethyst to be found.

Very little info on mindat

Does any one know any history of the place,there is a lower lvl at the end of the drive approx 20ft down but looked about chest deep when I was there last but does dry.

Anyone been down the drop ?

Pirate

A strange little mine with noticeable bad air further in.Some nice examples of hermatite and amethyst to be found.

Very little info on mindat

Does any one know any history of the place,there is a lower lvl at the end of the drive approx 20ft down but looked about chest deep when I was there last but does dry.

Anyone been down the drop ?

Pirate
According to Dines "an iron lode trending N 12 degrees E across a hog's back ridge, has been worked over a length of 1.200 yards by open pits and from adits at either end".

Nothing on the Council's interactive map beyond showing a shaft

Nothing in the index to Shallow Water in Hamilton Jenkin's volumes

A pure guess but I would say approx 50m the winze is approximately 15-20ft deep.
There have been no anchors put in but a rather sketchy fence post which I wouldn’t trust.

I didn’t have my gas on me but after about 15mins at the winze I started to feel a little odd and had the start of a headache so we got out…….id definitely be dropping the gas down the winze on a rope before descending

The amethystine quartz is very similar to that that could be found at Ballowal dumps and the hematite to material from Parknoweth dumps opposite the Queen's Arms in Botallack; both in the early 1970s.

Back